“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.” – Theodore Roosevelt

We’re living in a world today where 95% of the population is focused on what everyone else is doing and what everyone else thinks. 95% of the world looking side to side, following in the footsteps of those who have come before them. A vast majority of the world is saying “Why can’t I be doing that?” – instead of getting out there, and, you know, actually doing it.

Then there’s the other 5%. The Waldo’s. The people of the world who don’t focus on the peripheral – but instead, set their sites toward what’s ahead – those choice few who boldly state “Warp Speed – Engage!” rather than wandering around in space. These are the movers and shakers – these are the people who are taking control of their own lives and making waves – standing out – real-life, bona-fide innovators.

Stop what you’re doing, right now, and ask yourself - “Do I belong to the 95% – or the other 5?”

To the 95% – your job is simple – figure out how to get out of the 95th percentile. Then go do it.

For the other 5% – if you’re not already sharing your story with the world – what are you waiting for? The only way you learned and the only way others can learn from you is by being willing to help – offering to share information instead of hoarding it all for yourself. If we all focused on pushing one another to be at our best, rather than honing in on how to bring everyone else down – we’d all be a hell of a lot better off.

We all need that 5% – We need those who exude enthusiasm, and devote themselves to worthy causes. Those who are willing to stumble and sacrifice to achieve greatness. Sometimes, you’ll fall in and out of your “place” in the grand scheme of things. Your roles can and will change from follower to leader (and that’s OK). Focus on being part of the cycle instead of becoming overly content with your situation.

In the comments below – I want you to list TWO things:

1) What’s one thing you are doing right now, today, that you are extremely proud of – Something that truly makes you stand out?

2) What’s one thing you want to be doing – you need to be doing – but for whatever reason, you’re not doing it? AND, once you’ve answered that – write out what it will take to get you to where you want to be.

A lot of us get caught up amongst that 95% - but every one of us has the full capacity to be part of the other 5%. What’s it ‘gonna be for you?

(image c/o idiotjenn)

About Matt Cheuvront

I empower folks to do the work they want to do and live the life they want to live. I also watch entirely too much Saved by the Bell, run marathons, and drink plenty of craft beer. Check out the work my company is doing at Proof Branding.