Hello from San Francisco!
Each week I recap some of the best things I’ve read/seen/heard from around the web. I also get you up to date on what you may have missed here on the blog. It’s perfect “right-before-the-weekend-already-checked-out-at-work-on-a-Friday-afternoon” reading.
Best From Around the Web
- 28 in fifty-two notes: a year’s worth of writing, lessons, and people – I had the pleasure of (finally) meeting Sarah in person this week. And in the midst of conversation, she wrote in several thin Moleskine notebooks. Her ideas, her passions, and lessons learned. It wasn’t distracting. It was inspiring. We should all take a page (pun intended) out of Sarah’s book and take time to reflect more often – to remember where we’ve been, in pursuit of where we’re going. This post, in light of her recent birthday, shares 52 wise nuggets of wisdom worth considering.
- There’s nothing wrong with having a plan – But missions are better, so says Seth Godin. More on this from me in a post next week.
- 23 Incredibly Useful Insights on Shortcuts to Becoming an Expert – Corbett has launched his latest venture, Expert Enough. Everything he does is great, and this looks to be no different.
- Project Budgets & Secrets – This is an oldie but a goodie from Brian Hoff. Extremely useful insight for anyone working with client budgets.
Life Without Pants Week in Review
- Trust Me – We all need more trust in our lives. In a professional sense, when you trust who you hire, you allow them to be at their best, and allow yourself to focus on the things that really matter. Who do you trust?
- Call of Duty, Customer Relationships, & A Culture of Sequels – Leave it to me to find marketing inspiration in a video game. Call of Duty understands and embraces that all of their players (the veterans and the n00bs) play a vital part in the success of their brand.
- What Do You Do? – A question you’ve undoubtedly been asked a thousand times. But maybe it’s time to start rethinking your answer, or the question altogether.
- Fuck Up. Make Art. – A lesson in creating something beautiful, and the chaos and unrelenting hard work it takes to get there.
Something Completely Different
If you’re a nerd like me, the only thing that matters this week (besides this awesome online reading material) is the release of Skyrim. So, rather than wasting even one more second NOT playing, I’m off to nerd out with my Dark Elf Mage Thief. Yeah, I said it.